eZ Conference 2016 has now faded into a beautiful memory. We are delighted to hear all the positive feedback. Many attendees have complimented us on the venue, were inspired by the talks and said they left feeling better about themselves and their digital ambitions. Some of you are asking us about next year’s event. We ensure you, there are some surprises for 2017!
We cherish each and every member of the eZ community. eZ Systems would not be what it is today without you. Our dedicated partners, developers, designers and loyal users make us special. We encourage you to check the eZ blog for updates as more information becomes available about next year’s event. As for now, we’d like to provide a recap of this year’s festivities in Paris.
eZ Conference 2016: high tech amenities with a warm ambiance.
Over 200 attendees from over 16 countries attended the conference this year. Partners, developers, designers and other digital experts mingled under the dome of CNIT, in the La Defense business district of Paris. From October 4th-6th, we shared our knowledge, traded jokes, made new friends, and recognized our many superstars at the eZ Awards. We dined on exquisite hors d'oeuvres, played video games during breaks, took group selfies at the photomaton and were entertained by Pierre Manu, a genius of magic and illusion. Pierre was the Master of Ceremonies for eZ Conference 2016 and managed the speaker schedule for both days. At eZ, we wished to convey the conference material in a fun and entertaining manner. Mr. Manu captivated the audience with his trademark style and kept everyone engaged.
We’d like to thank Benjamin Fourmy, manager of the venue at Châteauform' City Le Cnit. His attention to detail and compassion for our attendees ensured a remarkable conference experience. The space received almost unanimous praise (some commented it was just a little too grandiose). “This is the best eZ Conference ever,” said Bard Farstad, Co-founder and Chief of Strategy at eZ.
The venue was an effortless mixture of high-tech convenience and warm ambiance. Airy but still offering seclusion, it provided ample space for attendees to hold private meetings, be interviewed and unwind from their regular work routines.
Most importantly, we’d like to extend our deepest gratitude to our premier sponsor, Platform.sh as well as all our gold sponsors: Inviqa, Kaliop, Smile, and Sword for their support as well as our partnership with Sensiolabs, the creator of Symfony. It was a pleasure having you with us.
The Pre-Conference training day on Tuesday October 4th, was a sold-out, full day of hands-on developer training. It was led by the Professional Services team from eZ along with a member of the Symfony team, and supported by PM, Marketing, and eZ Staff members. With guided steps, eZ Platform and its Symfony roots were revealed in detail, with demonstrations of the latest techniques developers need to write successful, best-practice code.
The morning of October 5th was reserved exclusively for eZ Partners. Members of eZ’s senior management team came together to discuss the past, present and future of the company. They walked eZ Partners through the product roadmap and discussed exciting things in store for 2017.
In the afternoon, the conference kicked off with a keynote by our founders, Aleksander and Bard Farstad. The audience sat hypnotized by a Red Bull video of beautiful snowy mountains and gravity defying stunts. The takeaway: content is what drives effective business. All companies need to be prepared to produce content in unique ways, to adapt and stay relevant. The right content helps you engage with customers. There’s nothing better than a powerful CMS to bring everything together in a flawless manner.
"CMS is not dead, it's just not the CMS you knew from the past."Bård Farstad, Chief of Strategy at eZ
The afternoon continued with equally entertaining and informative sessions. Many of the attendees commented on how convenient it was to pick and choose between technical and business track sessions. Our conference was designed in such a way to ensure all members of the community could engage in topics they were most interested in. We heard from industry executives and thought leaders from The Economist, Platform.sh, and Smile. Some presentations discussed unique ways of content distribution for publishers, innovative cloud hosting for your CMS and the latest trends in digital transformation.
At 5pm, after the last speaker presented their talk our guests left to their hotel rooms to change into formal attire for the evening’s eZ Awards. It proved to be a fun night with cocktails, magic and music.
This year’s winners of the eZ Awards:
- Innovation of the year: E-commerce for subscriptions- The Economist
- Contributor of the year: Carlos Revillo- Tanta, The Cocktail
- Best symfony contribution: Jerome Vieilledent, eZCoreExtraBundle
- Blogger of the year: Jani Tarvainen, eZ Systems
- Best website user experience: Youth Olympic Games and Seeds Consulting with Netlife Research, Youth Olympic Games sites.
- Beyond the web award: KitchenAid and s’nce group, Cook Processor app
- Best new partner: Inviqa
- Partner of the year: Kaliop Group
- Extending eZ award: Caisse d’Epargne, Caisse-epargne.fr
The final day of eZ Conference began with an interactive presentation from Yann Gournnevec, CEO of Visionary Marketing. A custom app was available to download for the audience on their phones. Attendees from both IT and Marketing could voice their concerns on content marketing strategy. As Yann asked questions, the audience’s responses (via the app) were presented on the big screens in real time. The day was packed with exciting talks from Inviqa, Creode, Kaliop, Blackfire and Silver.Solutions. Gareth Midwood of Creode delivered an exciting talk on rIoT gear. He demonstrated how one can protect their home through connected devices. As a little bonus, the audience had some fun playing a digital tug of war game via a mobile app. The room split into two opposing parts, tapping (battling) it out on their smart phones. Paul Boag made a dashing appearance in the afternoon to deliver the closing keynote and left us all wondering--do we really know what digital is and are we really thinking about our customer’s needs?
Slideshares of the presentations at eZ Conference 2016 are below. This list will get updated as more presentations become available to us.
- eZ and the evolution of CMS. Aleksander and Bård Farstad, Co-Founders of eZ Systems
- The evolution of The Economist content platform. Mark Brincat, CTO Economist
- eZ Platform and eZ Studio: where we are, where we are going, and a look towards 2.0 and beyond. Andre Romcke, VP Engineering, eZ Systems.
- The business value of PaaS. Kieron Sambrook Smith, Chief Commercial Officer, Platform.sh
- Discover a Symfony Bundle That Enables Webfactory Features in eZ Platform. Emmanuel Drouet, Software Architect, Smile.
- Pitfalls of Digital Transformation and How to Avoid Them. Dietmar Schantin, Founder, Institute for Media Strategies
- The eZ Platform view layer. Bertrand Dunogier, Lead Engineer of eZ Platform, eZ Systems.
- Content Marketing 2016-2020: From Content Shock to Content Chance. Yann Gourvennec, CEO, Visionary Marketing.
- How to Stimulate Innovation in Well Established Companies: A Look at DNB's VIPPS App. Roger Antonesen, Executive Vice President Corporate Banking, DNB.
- Extending and Customizing the eZ Platform User Interface. Damien Pobel, Lead Engineer User Interface, eZ Systems.
- Digital Customer Experience with Viking Line. Samuel Heiskala, Marketing Manager, Viking Line.
- Managing Changes to the Database Across the Project Life Cycle. Gaetano Giunta, CTO, Kaliop.
- Architecting Your Content For the Unknown Consumer. Richard Jones, Technical Director, Inviqa.
- Increase eZ Power With EzCoreExtraBundle. Jerome Vielledent, Senior Technical Expert eZ/Symfony, Freelance.
- Fujitsu on eZ...Worldwide. Till Kubelke, Managing Director, Kuborgh GmbH
- Protect Your Home With rIoT Gear. Gareth Midwood, Tech Lead, Creode.
- Bringing Content and Commerce Together. Ania Hentz, Co-founder and CEO of Silver Solutions with Roland Benedetti, Chief Product and Marketing Officer, eZ Systems.
- Orchestrated, Consistent, and Deterministic Deployment: What Does it Mean and How to Get There. Robert Douglass, VP Customer Success, Platform.sh.
- Code Performance Means Business Performance. Christopher Dujarric, Chief Product Officer, Blackfire.
- Running eZ Platform on Kubernetes. Bjorn Dieding, CEO, xrow, GmbH.
- The Next Generation of Innovative Applications: Powered by eZ Publish & Kuzzle.io. Gilles Guirand, CTO, Kaliop.
- Digital Adaptation. Paul Boag, User Experience and Digital Transformation Consultant, Boagworks.
Some of the eZ crew before the 2016 eZ Awards ceremony.
Interactive touch screen
Meeting spaceseZ swag
Breakfast is served
Opening key note
Mark Brincat, CTO of The Economist
Inviqa, Best new partner of the year
Kaliop, Partner of the year
The winners of eZ Awards
Panel of eZ Experts
Yann Gourvennec, CEO of Visionary Marketing
Silver.solutions and eZ
Paul Boag, closing key note